Click to Dynamic Korea HOME...
LINKS: ....Korean Stars Image gallery.
Stars Video Archives.
Photo Puzzles of Korean Stars.
Video Guide to Korea.
Beautiful Korean Autum Season Photos.
Traditional House & Architecture.
Information on National Health Insurance coverage for foreigners
， What is National Health Insurance?
The National Health Insurance Corporation (NHIC), is the only public insurer managing National Health Insurance under the supervision of the Ministry of Health & Welfare. Those insured by NHI can be categorized as the employee insured and the selfemployed insured. The NHI is the system through which the contributions made by the insured persons are consolidated into a fund and insurance benefits are provided upon their need.
The system aims to share the burden among the insured persons and provide medical services.
， Conditions for enrollment
Those who have registered as foreigners at the Immigration Bureau and meet one of the following conditions can apply for enrollment into national health insurance at the NHIC.
- Employee insured: Those who are the employers or the employees of workplaces
- Self-employed insured: Those who excluded from the employee insured and have one of following residence
status: F-2, F-4, D-1~9, E-1~5, E-7~8, F-1 (spouses and children of Korean nationals) and the spouses and children under 20 years of age of foreigners.
， Enrollment procedures and required documents
- For the employee insured: Foreign workers shall submit an application for enrollment to the employer o f the work place who is responsible for remitting the application to our office with the required documents. The enrollment is retroactive to the date he/she was first employed.
- For the self-empolyed insured: A foreigner shall submit an application for enrollment with the certificate of alien registration and passport to the nearest NHIC office in his/her residential area. The enrollment is retroactive to the date he/she registered his/her residence in Korea.
， Imposition of contributions and payment
- For the employee insured: The contribution amount shall be calculated by the monthly salary contribution rate and be deducted from the monthly salary (50% of which is paid by the emlpoyer). The duty of the payment is retroactive to the date he/she was first employed.
- For the self-empolyed insured: The contribution amount for those who have income shall be calculated by the monthly income contribution rate々and for those who have no income shall be the amount of the average monthly contributions of the self-empolyed in preceding year. The duty of the payment is retroactive to the date he/she registered his/her residence in Korea.
- For foreign students: 30% of the contribution can be reduced and the contributions shall be paid in advance in three month units. However, foreigners who have F-1 or F-2 residence status shall pay the contribution amount calculated by the same imposition standard for Korean nationals on a monthly basis.
， Insurance benefits
The benefit package for foreigners is the same as that for Korean Nationals. When the insured person and his/her dependents, whether they are foreigners or Korean nationals, receive health care service at the health care facilities, they have to pay only the following amounts:
For treatment at hospitals and medical clinics: 20%~50% of the total charges applicable by NHI For prescription drugs filled at the pharmacy: 30% of the total charges applicable by NHI